Not long now until the Quaint Queer Weird Wedding Spectacular at Proud Cabaret in Brighton. The date is September 8th, 2013, so save it and make sure that nothing, but nothing, else is going on that day. I would love to go, but can’t, so I’ll be viewing vicariously with my little face up against Internet and social media windows like a wee urchin. I’m 100% there for the next one, though!
It’s billed as an 18+ event, and its theme is ‘Bygone to Bondage’, with the hope that every visitor will raise their eyebrows at least once. It’s good to step away from the whiter than white and see the alternative fun you could be having. Get stuck in, I say! Take a peek around the door and surprise yourself, if you’re of the more traditional ilk…
Working with Struth event planners, organiser and wedding photographer Lesley Taylor tells us what motivated her to get going on such an undertaking:
I realised the varied folk of Brighton and the surrounding area would really appreciate an alternative wedding fair, so in a creative moment of madness, I decided to set one up!
I think my beloved Brighton is definitely the most perfect place for such shenanigans. I’m loving the entrepreneurial spirit of ‘if it doesn’t already exist, I’m flipping well setting it up!!’ Good call.
Look here for reasons to go and get those elevated eyebrows:
- There’s a catwalk show for the designers
- Am Statik is designing a bespoke white latex wedding dress, which she’ll be wearing and unveiling at said catwalk show
- A fetish trio dressed in wedding outfits will make hourly appearances
- Burlesque dances by Bruise Violet
- Cabaret entertainment from Joe Black
- Your host is ‘Ring Mistress of Ceremonies’ Dawn Gracie
- There’s fashion, make up, photography, photobooth providers, jewellery, cakes, and most of your usual wedding requirements, but from savvy exhibitors who offer something way other than ‘the usual’. Full list of exhibitors here
- There’s a Narnia-inspired entrance
- There are topless waiters.
Just some of the exhibitors and entertainers
- 18+ event
- Venue is Proud Cabaret, St George’s Street, Brighton, BN2 1EF
- Date is Sunday, September 8th
- Times are 10:30 am until 4:30 pm
- Advance tickets are £3, available to purchase up until August 31st, 2013, via website, or £5 on the door.
My little integrity bit
Although I’ve gotten my information, images and details from a press release, this was something I approached and asked Lesley if I could promote because I truly love this type of event. My words are my own, and I’ve received nothing to publish this piece.